Preserving memories: The importance of journalling and photographing your children's lives.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I am not sure what it is about having a baby that makes me grasp so tightly to every little moment and memory but it has made me a little obsessed about the preservation of those memories. My camera has never been used so much and I haven't kept a journal for years until now. Now I sit down every night after Liam is in bed and write in a journal all the things we did that day and all of his milestones. I print my pictures from the day and include those as well. I hope that he will treasure that journal someday and pass it on to his children. I think it is so important for Liam to know just how special he is and that the little things he does matter so much to me. I know my life will get even busier than it is now once the second baby comes along (in the future) but I hope I can keep up a photo journal for that baby as well. It is such a pleasure for me watching him grow and change every single day. Every day he becomes a little more like a little boy and less like a baby, which makes me sad and happy all at the same time. I wish I had kept a journal while I was pregnant with Liam. I kept a scrapbook of my pregnancy with all of the little things that happened with all of my "bump" pictures but more writing would have made it better. Documenting our lives is important. Documenting our children's lives is critical. There are so many reasons to feel unwanted and unloved in this world and it just gets tougher as we get older. The least I can do is write about and photograph my love for my sweet baby so he knows just how much I adore him when he is feeling down. I encourage everyone especially mothers to find a way to remember the little things and preserve your memories. You will never regret it and you will always remember the little things that make these years so incredible. Here is a photo of my boys playing on the floor :) Sometimes I feel like I am raising two babies :P

No comments :

Post a Comment